Council tax support

Council Tax Support is a scheme to reduce council tax bills for people on a low income. You can apply whether you are in or out of work. Homeowners can also get this help, regardless of the value of your home.

You can apply for council tax reduction if:

  • you are on a low income and are the person responsible for paying Council Tax
  • you are a pensioner who shares your home with another adult (not a partner or civil partner) who is unable to pay towards the Council Tax you can apply for Second Adult Rebate

If you are unsure if you can apply you can contact

Council tax reduction is based on you household and income. You will not be entitled to a discount if you have over £16,000 in capital. We will pay some or all of your Council tax for you if you qualify.

To make a new claim you will need to upload supporting evidence. If you are on Universal Credit you will also need to upload your latest statement showing the breakdown of your entitlement. 

Apply for Council Tax reduction

Council Tax discount or exemption

You can apply for a discount or exemption if:

  • you are the only occupier aged over 18 in your property
  • you are a student
  • you are severely mentally impaired

Apply for discount or exemption

Or if you are:

  • a patient or resident in a hospital 
  • being looked after in a care home
  • someone with learning disabilities
  • staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • a 18 and 19 year old who are at, or have just left college
  • caring for someone with a disability (who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18)
  • a member of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • a member of a religious community
  • in prison

Complete a discount or exemption form