Debt and money advice
If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is free and independent debt advice available. The Government sponsored MoneyHelper can help you find support.
If you find yourself getting into debt including rent or mortgage arrears, fuel debts, payday loans or credit and store card debts or other, it is important that you do not ignore your bills or debt letters. Instead you should seek advice as soon as possible to discuss your situation and take the appropriate actions
You can get free independent help and advice from any of the following national or local advice agencies:
- National Debtline – call 0808 808 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm and Saturday, 9:30am to 1pm
- StepChange Debt Charity – call 0800 138 1111, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 8am to 4pm
- Payplan – money and debt advice, 0800 280 2816
- Mary Ward Legal Centre – provides free independent advice to people who live and work in London to help them access their legal rights and entitlements; the main areas of law they help with are debt, housing and welfare benefits
- Debt Free London - get 24/7 confidential support and advice around debt, saving and budgeting. Whether you need advice on rent arrears, council tax, utility bills, credit cards or loan debt, advisors will be on hand night or day.
The Money Advice Service
The Money Advice Service provides free and impartial money advice.
Borrowing and saving money
Planning for the future, moving home, having a baby or retiring are some of the life changes that people experience. You can prepare for these by putting some savings aside. There are a range of services that can help with budgeting, saving and provide advice on bank accounts and credit.
Liberty Credit Union
Liberty Credit Union is a community-based savings and loans organisation, open to anyone who lives or works in the boroughs of Redbridge, Havering, or Barking and Dagenham. Liberty Credit Union can offer an easy access savings account and preferential rate loans with free life and loan insurance.
Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people.
Financial support for your child
Child maintenance is financial support towards your child’s everyday living costs when you’ve separated from the other parent.
Redbridge Food Bank
Redbridge Food Bank is part of a national network of foodbanks giving out nutritionally balanced emergency food to people in crisis.
From planning your monthly spending budget to finding the best deal at the supermarket, there is lots of handy tools on the Prince's Trust to support you and your finances.