Financial help for disabled

On average, life costs an extra £583 a month if you're disabled.

If you or someone you care for are deaf, disabled, or have a long-term health condition, you could get financial support and advice to help with funding the extra costs of ill health or disability.

There is information about the range of disability related financial support available on GOV.UK website.

If you’re on a low income or out of work, you may be able to get Universal Credit. If you decide to claim Universal Credit, any tax credits or means tested benefits that you already get (except a council tax reduction) will stop. This will happen even if your Universal Credit claim results in a nil award. To find out which option is best for you, contact an advice organisation like ScopeContact or Disability Rights UK.

You can call Scope's helpline for free independent advice and support on issues including disability benefits. Call 0800 800 333 for advice or email

For adults

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to pension age who face barriers taking part in everyday life, including getting around. Disability Rights UK have a guide to making a claim for Personal Independence Payment.

The disability charity Scope has guidance on how to fill out benefit claim forms. Scope also provides information about disability benefits and how you can fund the costs of being disabled.

Are you on an oxygen concentrator at home? You can get a rebate for the electricity it uses. Scope provide details about how to claim your rebate for electricity.

For children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is the main benefit for children under 16 with a health condition or disability. DLA helps to meet the extra costs that you might have as a result of your child's disability.

The charity Contact can help with making a claim for DLA and other financial support including grants.

For family carers

Carer's Allowance is the main benefit for carers. You might be able to get it if the person you care for is on the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate, or if they get the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment. Carers UK has advice on financial support for unpaid carers.

If you have recently become sick or disabled, Money Helper has useful information about how you can get support from your employer, claim benefits and manage your finances.

Redbridge Council may also be able to help you with welfare support if you’re struggling financially.

How to contact the Welfare Benefits Team


Write to us: 

Welfare Benefits Team
London Borough of Redbridge
Lynton House
255-259 High Road
Ilford, IG1 1NN 

Telephone:   020 8708 4180 Monday to Thursday 9am to 12:30pm only

Make a referral to the team