Help with energy costs

Disabled people, on average, have higher energy costs than non-disabled people. This is because of needing to charge medical and mobility devices or run heating at higher levels to stay warm.

If you are struggling to afford your energy bills, there are ways you can get support. The charity Inclusion London has a helpful guide to getting support with the increasing costs of energy for deaf and disabled people. You should ask your energy supplier about being added to the Priority Service Register which means you'll get extra support and cannot be disconnected during winter (1 October to 31 March).

If you use an oxygen concentrator at home, you can get a rebate for the electricity it uses. Scope provide details about how to claim your rebate for electricity.

If you have a prepayment meter and you live with an impairment that means your health would be damaged by your power going off, you can ask your energy company to replace it with a normal meter. Your energy company must do this if you ask them to. Citizens Advice has more information about moving off a prepayment meter.

Your energy supplier can’t move you onto a prepayment meter if you are in a 'very vulnerable situation', even if you are in debt. Ofgem has information about prepayment meters.

To find out more about how you could get support with your energy bills, see information on help with your gas, electricity and water bills.