Stopping smoking will always be beneficial to your health and it’s never too late to quit. Once you’ve stopped smoking you’ll start to see the benefits very quickly:
- 20 minutes - your blood pressure and pulse will return to normal
- 8 hours – nicotine is reduced by 90% and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are reduced by 75%
- 24 hours - your lungs start to clear out smoking debris; carbon monoxide and nicotine are almost eliminated from the body
- 48 hours – all traces of nicotine are removed from the body, damaged nerve endings will start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste improves
- 1 month – physical appearance improves, losing grey pallor and becoming less wrinkled
- 1 year – the risk of heart attack reduces by half
There is support to help you stop smoking. The many options means that you can find the service that is right for you.
Help is available
There is support to help you stop smoking. The many options mean that you can find the service that is right for you.
Stop Smoking service advisers are there to support you to quit. They can also provide information on different methods to quit smoking such as electronic cigarettes, carbon monoxide readings, literature and advice.
We encourage residents to use the following services to help them quit smoking.
Everyone Health Redbridge (Redbridge Stop Smoking service)
You can choose to receive one-to-one or group support by Everyone Health's Specialist Practitioners across community locations in the borough. Alternatively, support can be provided through participating pharmacies across Redbridge.
Telephone and virtual support are also available as part of the service. You will also have access to stop smoking medicines to help manage the quit journey.
To speak to this service, call 0333 005 0095 or email email@example.com.
Stop Smoking London
Residents can access free specialist, personalised support from trained health advisers over the phone to help them quit smoking.
Visit the Stop Smoking London website or call the helpline on 0300 123 1044.