Universal Credit support

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are out of work or are working and on a low income. It is assessed and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions(DWP).

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits, know as legacy benefits:

  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment made to you or your partner.

How do I apply?    

Universal Credit claims can only be accepted online. 

If you do not have access to the internet at home to make a claim, you can use the facilities available at Job Centre Plus and at Redbridge local libraries. 

For more information please visit Universal Credit

You can get advice if you are unsure whether you should be claiming, or whether Universal Credit will be right for you on the GOV.UK website

Apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK

If you are already receiving benefits, it is worth checking if you are receiving the correct amount. Check the benefit calculator